Samsung sees strong demand for Galaxy S8 & S8 Plus despite Note7 fiasco

Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus smartphones are garnering an unprecedented number f pre-orders, suggesting that the Galaxy Note7 fiasco failed to break consumers’ trust in the Korean electronics giant.

DJ Koh, head of mobile division at Samsung, told reporters at a local media event on Thursday that pre-orders for the new flagship phones had surpassed those for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge, the new phones’ predecessors that were released in March 2016.

Kiranjeet Kaur, of IDC Asia/Pacific, said, “The news about the S8 is very positive at this point, though we have to see how many of the pre-orders translate into sales. There is a pent up demand for a large screen Samsung phone after the Note7 was discontinued, and the S8 devices meet that requirement.”

A spokesperson for the company confirmed Koh’s remarks but declined to provide exact numbers for the pre-orders for the new devices. However, the spokesperson disclosed the number of pre-orders for the S8 and S8 Plus in home market of South Korea, which were recorded at more than 728,000.

In the United States and some other markets, the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus smartphones will hit store shelves on 21st of April.

The new smartphones are being closely watched because these devices mark the first major launch by Samsung after the devastating battery issues that forced the company to recall the Note7 and stop its production altogether in October last year.

wirtschaft: 
Kompanie: 
Legen: