Alzheimer’s Drug LMTX found ineffective in clinical trial
A new drug for Alzheimer’s disease, called LMTX, has been found ineffective in its first large clinical trial to check the rate of progression of mental disability and daily functioning. The drug, however, may be effective for certain patients.
Developed by TauRx Therapeutics, LMTX tried to undo so-called tau tangles in the brain and the drug was the first one with its mode of action to reach the final stage of clinical trials. As the eagerly awaited results of the study appeared, all those concerned were left disappointed.
The study showed that patients who received LMTX did not have a slower rate of decline in mental ability or daily functioning than those in the control group. About 15% of the patients in the study were given LMTX as their only therapy while the remaining 85% were put on Alzheimer’s drug in addition to either LMTX or a placebo.
“There were highly significant, clinically meaningful, large effects in patients taking the drug as monotherapy, and no effect in patients taking it as an add-on”, said Claude Wischik, a founder and the chief executive of TauRx, while speaking from Toronto where the results were being presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference.
Dr. Wischik said they found the same phenomenon in a second clinical trial, sponsored by the company, whose results were yet to be announced. TauRx Therapeutics now plans to apply for approval of LMTX for use by itself.
Some experts in the field, however, were skeptical about drawing conclusions from a small subset of patients, especially since there was no obvious explanation why LMTX would be expected to work only in patients not getting other drugs.
“I have to say that the results that we saw here were, to me, more disappointing than not,” Dr. David Knopman, a neurologist at the Mayo Clinic, said.
IBM is using blockchain for improving speed and security for cross-border transactions. The solution offered by IBM is focused on banking sector.
Tesla Motors has fired hundreds of employees after annual performance review. The company confirmed the move but the management hasn’t mentioned the exact number of employees fired during the current performance review.
Tesla Motors has announced recall of 11,000 Model X vehicles to fix a seat cable issue. The voluntary recall involves Model X SUVs manufactured between October 28, 2016 and August 16, 2017.
Norway is planning to add additional tax burden on consumers planning to buy electric cars.
German government has raised the growth outlook for 2017 to two percent from earlier estimate of 1.5 percent. The growth outlook for 2018 has been raised to1.9 percent from earlier estimate of 1.6 percent.
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has raised growth outlook for global economy considering stronger growth and signs of recovery in many key markets. However, the IMF forecast has raised doubts over growth in India and the United Kingdom.